Monday, November 5, 2018

City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab (Middle-Grade Book Review)

Title: City of Ghosts
Author: Victoria Schwab
Series: (Cassidy Blake #1)
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: August 28, 2018
Genre: Middle-Grade, Paranormal
Length: 285 pages
Format: Hardcover, Purchased


Synopsis:
Cassidy Blake's parents are The Inspectres, a (somewhat inept) ghost-hunting team. But Cass herself can REALLY see ghosts. In fact, her best friend, Jacob, just happens to be one. 

When The Inspectres head to ultra-haunted Edinburgh, Scotland, for their new TV show, Cass--and Jacob--come along. In Scotland, Cass is surrounded by ghosts, not all of them friendly. Then she meets Lara, a girl who can also see the dead. But Lara tells Cassidy that as an In-betweener, their job is to send ghosts permanently beyond the Veil. Cass isn't sure about her new mission, but she does know the sinister Red Raven haunting the city doesn't belong in her world. Cassidy's powers will draw her into an epic fight that stretches through the worlds of the living and the dead, in order to save herself. 

My Review:
When I heard that VE Schwab was writing a ghost story, I was ecstatic! I've loved ghosts stories since I was a kid and I was eager to see what fantastic story she would come up with.
Schwab has quickly climbed my fave authors lists and cemented her place in my top 3 so I would have read and enjoyed this even if it wasn't my typical genre or age group. 

Cassidy's best friend is a ghost. She's been able to see ghosts since Jacob saved her from drowning in a river and they've been inseparable ever since. It's only coincidence that her parents are experts on the history and legends of paranormal activity and are filming a show that will take them to some of the most haunted places in the world.
First stop; Edinburgh, Scotland!

City of Ghosts was well written and wonderfully spooky! It has just enough scare factor and great pacing so I flew through it!
I loved the setting and all the Harry Potter references. You can really tell how much the author loves Edinburgh from how she describes it.
I also really loved all the little educational tidbits about the language and cultural differences between the UK and the US.
Those are the things I loved about middle-grade myself as a kid. 

I will definitely be continuing this series and can't wait to see what Schwab has in store for Cass in the future! 



4 comments:

  1. I’m glad you liked it! I love ghost stories, too, so I’m excited to read this one.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance! I adore children's ghost stories! :D

      Delete
  2. Very nice review! I love a good ghost story. I need to get my copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get a chance to read it! Schwab does not disappoint! :D

      Delete