Monday, March 19, 2018

Book Review: Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) by Diana Gabaldon

Title: Dragonfly in Amber
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander #2
Publisher: Bantom
Publication Date: (originally) July 1, 1993
Genre: Adult, Historical Fiction, Romance
Length: 754 pages
Format: ebook
Source: owned/borrowed 


Synopsis:
From the author of Outlander... a magnificent epic that once again sweeps us back in time to the drama and passion of 18th-century Scotland...

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his...

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrugue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.

My Thoughts: 
Much like the first book, this one took me at least 30% to really get into. I love historical fiction and Gabaldon's writing is lovely so I still enjoyed the beginning but it just wasn't as action packed until about half way through. 

I took a break from this for about half a year, thanks to library holds and my very long reading slump, but once I started it again, I was hooked. I'm not always thrilled to read romance novels but this series has sucked me in thanks to the history, the writing style, and the characters. Claire and Jamie are such an amazing couple; always building on each other's strengths and persevering despite their differences. 

In Dragonfly in Amber, Claire and Jamie head off to France to do what they can to stop the inevitable battle on Culloden Moor that Claire knows will wipe out the Scottish highland clans, including Jamie's. There's plenty of political intrigue and, of course, Jamie and Claire can't help but attract all sorts of trouble and sordid characters. They are basically magnets for All The Things. Seriously, there's just so much going on in these books is almost impossible to get bored with them. 

Beware that the end of this book is like one big, odd cliffhanger and you will literally not be able to go on about your life without wondering what happened and what will happen. I started Voyager right afterward because I could not stand not knowing. These books are that good though. 

My Rating: 4.5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I love the Outlander series and am glad you are enjoying it. I am behind in it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I gave it a chance! :D

      Delete