Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Be Quiet! by Ryan T. Higgins (Picture Book Review)

Be Quiet! 
by Ryan T. Higgins
Series: Bruce #3
Published by Disney-Hyperion
Published on April 4, 2017
Length: 40 pages


Literary Awards:
Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Picture Books (2017)

Synopsis:
All Rupert the mouse wants is to star in a beautiful, wordless picture book. One that's visually stimulating! With scenic pictures! And style! He has plenty of ideas about what makes a great book, but his friends just WON'T. STOP. TALKING.

Children and adults alike will chuckle at this comedic take on bookmaking from acclaimed author-illustrator Ryan T. Higgins. 

My Thoughts:
This is such an entertaining and visually stimulating read! My toddler loved it. She wanted me to read it again right away and asked me to read it every night for weeks. No exaggeration. I may have been annoyed with it at some point but coming back to it after a short break, I will admit it's pretty great. 

This is the third book in the Mother Bruce series but Bruce only has a small cameo within the book. Still, it has a similar style and humor to it. The illustrations are bright and bold with lots of texture and depth. 

Higgins has a very unconventional storytelling style and I'm enjoying it quite a bit! This is a wordless book that isn't wordless at all! I love that this book starts on the cover and continues around the titles, author, publisher, etc. The thought-bubble dialogue makes it easy to act out each character and give them different accents or tones. I think this is also a big reason why we love it so much! 

More from this author:

No comments:

Post a Comment