Thursday, March 6, 2014

Book Review: Matilda by Roald Dahl

Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl
Illustrator: Quentin Blake
Publisher: Puffin
Publication Date: first published 1988
Genre: Children's
Length: 240 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: purchased
SYNOPSIS:
For hundreds of kids "The Trunchbull" is pure terror--for Matilda, she's a sitting duck. 

Who put superglue in Dad's hat? Was it really a ghost that made Mom tear out of the house? Only sweet, gentle Matilda knows. Because she's the one playing all the jokes! She's a genius with idiot parents--and she's having a great time driving them crazy. But at school things are different. At school there's Miss Trunchbull, two hundred pounds of kid-hating bully. Pull a trick on "The Trunchbull" and she'll string you up. Get rid of The Trunchbull and you'll be a hero for every kid in Crunchem Hall. But that would take a superhuman genius. Or may a sweet, gentle--crafty--genius?

MY THOUGHTS:
I just can't believe that I never read a Roald Dahl book as a kid. My first was The Witches because I knew of it from the movie as a kid but I was 19-20 when I first found a copy of the book. Matilda was always one of my favorite movies as well so I just don't know how I never knew they were both books. I more recently read Fantastic Mr. Fox and James and the Giant Peach because I was also big fans of those movies as well. What can I say? I experienced all the films first which is a little odd because I read a lot of books as a kid but no one ever recommended anything so I guess I missed the good stuff.

I loved the film as I grew up on it and wanted to have "magic powers" just like Matilda to get back at the horrors of life. I grew up with the story but this is my first time actually reading the book.
I was happy to already know most of the phrases and it was entertaining to picture it all with a pre-existing memory of the characters and more from the movie. I wonder what I would have pictured 'The Chokey' to be like when I was 8 years old.
To be honest, I think I would have been very tempted to pull awful tricks on my family and other people when they were being horrid! 

My Rating:
5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment