Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Reading Resolutions


Happy New Year, Readers!!!

I like to start every new year with a whole bunch of resolutions. 
Some people don't like resolutions and feel pressured by them but I prefer to see them more as guidelines than as rules. I create the resolutions and I have every right to follow through or not. It's not something that
needs to be done 'or else'. No one is going to punish me if I don't do everything on my resolutions list! 

Take the Goodreads Challenge, for example. I can set that baby at 100 books and only have read 25 half way through the year. Rather than get stressed out about having to read 75 more books in 6 months, I can just edit the goal to something more reasonable. I've even seen some readers who change their goal to one book more than they've already read every single time they finish a book.

I usually set unrealistic goals for myself up front, that way I'm working towards something and that keeps me driven even if I never get close to those goals. 

This year my goals are going to be rather small. Why? Because I have a newborn who demands the majority of my time and I'm actually thrilled about it. For the first time, in probably ever, something is more important to me than reading! But reading to my baby girl is also very important to me so this year will probably be filled with a plethora of picture books rather than my regular reads. For that reason, I'm setting my personal reading goal at a very low
 25 books

That seems reasonable but it's also very likely that I might not even get around to reading 10 this year. Who knows?! But I'm a bit of a list junkie and I can't pass up the chance to make a resolutions list. 

And now for the unrealistic goals and challenges!
(Because there are just too many books that I want to read!)

Key
* = a book I physically own

BOOK TO MOVIES ADAPTATIONS
(because reading the book first is always ideal)

Already a movie:
Gone Girl
The Crucible*
North and South
Anna Karenina

Upcoming movie adaptations:
The Light Between Oceans*
Paper Towns
Not A Drop To Drink
Dark Places*
The Scorch Trials
 
The Sound and the Fury*
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
The Jungle Book


1001 Books To Read Before You Die List

The Crucible*
Never Let Me Go*
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland*
Through the Looking Glass
The Sound and the Fury*
North and South


1001 Books To Read Before You Grow Up List
(These will most likely be read aloud to my daughter but are more substantial than picture books and therefore will probably be counted towards my 25 books)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time*
Harriet the Spy*
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz*
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland*
Through the Looking Glass
Black Beauty*
The Borrowers*
Caddie Woodlawn*
Little House on the Prairie*
Little House in the Big Woods*
Watership Down*


For Review
(I should really put these first!)

The Warded Man*
Assassin's Apprentice*
The Darkening Dream*
Uprooted by Naomi Novak*


Banned Books

The Absolute True Story of a Part-Time Indian*
Eleanor & Park


Sequels

Cress
Winter
Wednesdays in the Tower
Thursdays With the Crown
The Scorch Trials


KINDLE EBOOKS
(I bought a really cheap tablet to read ebooks on and since I've accumulated so many in the past year it makes sense to read some of them! Here are a few that I'd love to get to.) 

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (#1)
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (#1)
Coral & Bone by Tiffany Daune
Everville: The First Pillar by Roy Huff (#1)
The Unearthly by Laura Thalassa (#1)
Prophet by R.J.Larson (#1)
Witch Song by Amber Argyle (#1)
Witch Rising by Amber Argyle (#2)
Fall of Sky City by S.M. Blooding (#1)
Knight of Wands by S.M. Blooding (#2)


OTHER GOALS:

- Read 5 Books Published in 2014
- Read 5 Books Published in 2015

- Participate in at least one read-a-thon
- Participate in Book Bingo
- The ABC Challenge
- Finish at least one series!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, reading the book before the movie comes out 1st is the way to go!!

    The Absolute True Story of a Part-Time Indian is so good!! I loved reading it. :-)

    Happy New Year!

    I loved reading

    ReplyDelete