Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Sunday Post - 2020 Week 15 - Sewing


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
and is a chance to share news, both new and old!


Hey there, bloggers!

This week has kind of blown by. 

In Covid news,
Store employees all over my area are starting to have immediate family test positive and/or are ill themselves and are calling out or being turned away from work. At this point, it is just a waiting game for the rest of the employees (and the shoppers). They've only allowed them to start wearing actual protective gear this past week and since I have at least a little skill with a sewing machine, I've been making masks for my guy and his coworkers. 
Go figure, our governor wants to send kids back to school this week and they're shutting down (or already have?) the drive-up testing sites. 

In my home life,
Other than making masks, I've been gardening, of course. My mini and I added onions and garlic to our garden beds, started potatoes in a tote bag and a big black pot (mostly just testing easy ways to grow and harvest them), and started pumpkin seeds for Autumn. We're really hoping those do well this year! The last time I tried, we had a heavy rain season and they didn't survive. 
My mini was interested in how plants grow earlier this year so we started a garden and learned all about plants and life cycles and that has led her into an interest in bugs so we've been focused on identifying and observing them as well as reading all the bug books we can get our hands on at this time. I'm enjoying her natural curiosity and it's keeping us extra busy these days.

I hope you're all doing well! Happy Reading!
Happy Easter to those of you that celebrate it!


Currently Reading:

I'm only reading The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells between books and writing projects so it's slow going.
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is the only graphic novel I have left toward my one a month goal until the library reopens so I'm going to knock it off my backlist today before I dig into another review book.


Recently Finished:

This one is about a girl with Turner Syndrome! My review will be posted later this week!

Recently Posted Reviews:


I shared my review of Dewdrop by Katie O'Neill which was super cute, RHS Get Growing: A Family's Guide to Gardening Indoors and Out by Holly Farrell which I think is the perfect resource for families that want to start a garden right now, as well as Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mendel which is about a pandemic!


What I'm Watching:


Disney released Onward early so my mini and I have watched that a couple of times. It's fun but has its sad moments. 
I also finally sort of had a movie date (at home) to watch Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which was pretty good, but also had its sad moments.


Have a great week! Happy reading! 


Follow

11 comments:

  1. That's scary that so many at your work are getting sick. I recently learned that our company will be sending out masks to all the locations. So hopefully those will arrive sometime this week.

    Hope you enjoy all the reads for this week!


    Here's my StS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is scary that so many people where you work are sick. I think that is is wonderful that you are making masks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to do, making masks. I am appalled at how little our Federal Government has done to prepare us, and even now, that they are not stepping up to help the states. It doesn't surprise me, though.

    Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. Our stores all have protective shields up to protect employees. Some stores are allowing them to wear masks.. which I think is important. Our schools won't reopen this year. Be safe and bless you for making masks. I ordered mine since I can't sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that's a lot of people getting sick and I can't believe that they're re-opening schools already!
    I hope you manage to stay safe from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's so scary. I can't believe that they want to reopen schools this week when everything is supposed to be locked down until the 30th. I hope you all stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand the crazy of different ways of handling things. Our schools are finishing this spring / year online. I heard that about drive-thru testing and then heard it would continue. I don't know if we have drive thru testing in NC but we haven't left the house since March 16. Well I went to the pharmacy drive thru and Walmart pickup but stayed in my car. I am considering going out to get some plants for the garden. That's so cool you've been keeping interested in that.

    I sew and plan to make us some masks but since we don't leave the house I haven't been very motivated as yet.

    Have a healthy, safe week! Happy Easter!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really feel for those working in retail like grocery stores and other essential stores who are at high risk. We are supposedly entering the peak weeks here and are being told to avoid going shopping or out at all if possible. I'm still having to go into work part of the week, but my environment is more controlled than most. It's interesting how differently the various parts of the country are handling the crisis. I am glad you are able to help the effort my making masks. I feel so useless most of the time.

    I really liked Onward. We watched Trolls World Tour this afternoon and enjoyed it. I hope you have a good week. Stay safe and well. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry but to consider relaxing restrictions at this time is a staggering amount of stupid given your country’s exponential infection/death rate and inability to provide health resources :(
    That you are trying to contribute to a solution by making masks is admirable.


    Wishing you a great reading week, and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no that's scary, but how cool you are making masks!

    I liked Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker. :)

    Good luck with your garden- sounds like you are off to a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear so many of your coworkers are getting sick. It's a scary time for sure.
    Good luck with your gardening.

    Stay safe and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete