Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Sunday Post - 2020 Week 17 - Nature & Books!


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
and is a chance to share news, both new and old!


Hey there, bloggers!

I wish I had more to report this week, especially since it was Earth Day, World Book Day, and then Arbor Day, all of which are some of my absolute favorite days of the year. But it stormed a lot this week and I ended up with a debilitating migraine for a few days so it hasn't been as fun as I would have liked. I wasn't entirely unproductive though. I got some masks finished for local essential workers and new fabric prepped to make more this week.  I'm still fitting in as much gardening and yardwork as possible. I even got some reading done this week!

How my garden grows:
We have a single baby squash this week, lots of itty bitty pole beans, and a few cucumbers that are big enough to pick already! The tomatoes are all still a lovely green. I'm really contemplating fried green tomatoes! We now have pumpkin seedlings planted in a bed so I'm hoping those do well and the sunflowers we planted forever ago finally sprouted!

It stormed all day on Arbor day so we waited until sunny Saturday to dig up the baby crepe myrtles that were growing out of the bottom of my older potted crepe myrtle. It turned out to be three babies so we planted all three in separate pots. I'm looking forward to their dark red flower clusters!


I hope you are all doing well, staying safe, and getting in lots of reading! Or just existing. That's great too!

Currently Reading:

I'm determined to actually read my ebooks this week instead of staying up late to write so hopefully you won't see The Invisible Man or The Black Moon on here too many more times.
The Nebula Secret is the first in a fun middle-grade adventure series that I received from the publisher and exactly what I need right now since I can't get out on my own adventures right now.


Recently Finished:

I absolutely loved this! Review coming soon!
If you've read this, I would LOVE recommendations for similar books if you have any!


Recently Posted Reviews:

We reviewed All Around Bustletown: Spring by Rotraut Susanne Berner, one in a fun and interactive seasonal quartet, for the publisher. We read and reviewed The Boreal Forest: A Year in World's Largest Land Biome by E.L. Carmichael & Josee Bisaillon for Netgalley on Arbor Day.
Queen of the Sea by Dylan Meconis is a middle-grade alternate historical fiction graphic novel that was really fantastic. Definitely recommend!

What I'm Watching:
Is it weird that I haven't watched any tv lately?
Oh, I did put Netflix's 'The Wildling' on as background light the other night. It was weird.
What are you all hooked on right now?

What I'm Listening To:

"Timesink" by Lorn
This one is wordless with an interesting and timely music video.


New to our shelves:
Nothing new in the mail but here are some of the great Kindle Freebies we've grabbed this week! I'm so grateful for these because we can't visit our library and our Overdrive hasn't added any children's books in months!

Have a great week! Happy reading!

Follow

17 comments:

  1. I wish I had skills to sew things like that! Luckily, my stepdad's niece has those skills and is doing this very thing too! She made a few masks for us as well and I am thrilled since I usually do the grocery run on Saturdays. And nicely timed that my mask supplied my work finally came in after nearly a month of promising it was coming!

    Hope you enjoy the week to come!



    Here's my StS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have someone to make some for you! I've only ever done small projects before but the masks are holding up well! I haven't had to do any in-store shopping but my masks are mostly going to supermarket employees now that they are last-minute required to wear them!

      Delete
  2. Oh, sorry about the migraine! Hope it has left your system by now.

    Love the things you have in your garden! We've planted a few items yesterday but am looking forward to planting more next week.

    Those are some good freebies you snagged. Love Saga - one of my all-time favorites. I've heard good things about Monstress but am yet to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking forward to Saga for so long! I'll have to get my hands on the rest now!
      Thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Do storms trigger your migraines? I have a friend that happens to, something about the change in air pressure.
    I just watched Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist which was light and fun

    Wishing you a great reading week, be well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not usually but I'll pay attention to that next time it storms! It did seem out of nowhere but the stress probably didn't help!
      I'll check that one out! Thanks! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine. Do you think it was weather related? I've been paying attention and mine seem to be. I'm not a fan because that's not exactly something we have control over. I hope you're feeling better now! Yay on the squash! I very sadly decided not to plant a garden this year. I don't do well growing from seed and now that we are able to plant plants the garden supplies are either closed or way too jammed to mess with. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible! I've never linked them to storms but I'll definitely keep that in mind next time and see if there's a correlation!
      It's so hard to find seeds now! I had a good stash from a year or so ago and at least some of the seeds germinated but I'll need to collect seeds for next year if things stay the way they are!
      Thanks so much for the well wishes! Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. That is awesome about the masks but sorry to hear about the headache! Sounds awful.

    Your garden sounds awesome. I love tomatoes and whatnot from the garden- they're always the best. :)

    Earth Day seemed so muted this year with the virus stuff. I hope next year it gets the proper attention again- hopefully things will be lot better then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! We usually go camping/hiking with an emphasis on cleaning up our public places but it'll have to wait.
      Homegrown is always so much tastier! I'm looking forward to the tomatoes!
      Have a great week, Greg! :)

      Delete
  6. Your garden sounds good and your books look tempting...but sorry about that nasty migraine.

    Hang in there, and stay safe. Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is still lingering but I'm on the mend!

      Delete
  7. Ooh Saga - love that graphic novel series! How awesome you're making masks. That's a wonderful way to help out. Sorry about the migraines last week though!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to Saga! So many people love it! :)
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to your review of the Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. Hope this week is headache free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see how much you liked Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. I think that may be available at Overdrive soon...I'm on the waiting list.

    Look at all those freebies you found. Anything Kate DiCamillo is going to be good, I think.

    Your garden sounds fabulous. Ours is amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen a few recommendations for The Book Woman. I may need to add this to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing and hope this week is headache-free! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete