Friday, May 1, 2020

Persepolis: The Story Of A Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Graphic Memoir Book Review)


Persepolis:
The Story of A Childhood
(Persepolis #1 of 2)
Written and illustrated by Marjane Satrapi
Published by Pantheon
on June 1st 2004 
(first published in 2000)
Genre: Graphic Novel, Memoir
Length: 153 pages

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository

Literary Awards:
Harvey Awards for Best US Edition of Foreign Material (2004)

ALA Alex Award (2004)

Synopsis:
Wise, funny, and heartbreaking, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country.

My Thoughts:
This graphic memoir of Marjane Satrapi's early years, from age six to sixteen, focuses on the Islamic Revolution in her home country of Iran and her life in it.  Raised by outspoken parents, Marjane rebels against the regime early on, choosing to wear and listen to whatever she likes. As her country continues to change, with forced coverings for females and less tolerance of anything influenced by the West, Marjane finds herself rebelling more and more, to a point that her parents are quite worried!

This eye-opening autobiography gives us real-life memories of a child growing up during a pivotal time in Iranian history. Marjane is an open-minded, educated young girl with parents that taught her to think for herself and allowed her plenty of freedom at a young age. As a teenager, she has an openly rebellious streak that puts her in trouble's way more than once.

I went into this with a little bit of prior knowledge of Iran, having focused on expanding my knowledge of the Middle-East a few years ago after realizing how little I knew about the geography (or much else besides) there. While I've read plenty about the history and wars, I haven't read a lot about the youth or how they felt or reacted to these changes in history. I'm glad to have finally read this one and will try to get my hands on part 2 as soon as possible!

Setting:
Tehran, Iran

Follow

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading both Persepolis #1 and #2. I actually liked the 2nd book more than the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my library was open right now so I could read it!! Soon! :)

      Delete
  2. I have seen this book around but I never realised what it was about. I may check it out now. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book - and part two!!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete