Sunday, July 12, 2020

The Sunday Post - 2020 Week 28 - Little Vacay


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
and is a chance to share news, both new and old!


Hey there, bloggers!
Here's my week at a glance!


Currently Reading:


Recently Finished:

Recent Posts & Reviews:

Top Ten Tuesday - Most Read Authors


I'm behind on reviews this week but we read and reviewed Swan Lake, a picture book by the New York City Ballet & Valerie Docampo, Wild Fairies #2: Lily's Water Woes by Brandi Dougherty, and a MG nonfiction graphic novel, Astronauts: Women on the Final Frontier by Jim Ottaviani & Maris Wicks.


What I'm Watching:
I started Hamilton this week but didn't get a chance to finish. I love the music and the cast is amazing but I feel like I need to read the book to get the whole picture. I've been stuck on world history for too long and really need to brush up on US history again soon, I think. 


Off the Blog:

This week has been a bit more eventful than usual.

We went for a long hike along a river (which meant tons of mosquitos, horse flies, and humongous banana spiders) at a nature preserve and we had the place all to ourselves. It was hot and humid and we were able to fit in our picnic lunch under a shady grandfather oak before the afternoon storms started.

We also went canoeing up our favorite spring-fed river, but we went super early to avoid any crowds of kayakers or boaters. It was easy to avoid others and we saw a family of river otters up close as well as tons of turtles and birds. I missed being out on the water. It's so peaceful. Still, I think that was risky enough for me. It was filling up by the time we left and no one was wearing masks at the gathering spots, the parking lots, or the trails.

I spent every other waking moment this week researching home education options. Homeschooling is something I've wanted to do since my daughter was born but she is pretty extroverted and wants all the friends so I was set to send her to school this year. Then COVID happened and I knew I was going to need to homeschool. We've been easing into it a bit more and more since March but I'm really crunching now trying to plan plan plan and find the right curriculum for us. I'm just bummed we can't homeschool exactly how I wanted, with lots of educational trips to museums, zoos, aquariums, etc, since those are things we love to do quite often but with COVID cases being out of hand in Florida, I don't want to take that chance.
Anyway, wish me luck!

Have a great week, readers! Stay safe!

Follow

14 comments:

  1. Glad the canoe trip went off without a hitch. I am looking forward to your thoughts on The Shadows. Have a good week Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relaxing trip! Thanks so much and have a great week! :)

      Delete
  2. I love it so much. I want to watch Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic so far! I think it's one I will probably watch several times!

      Delete
  3. It's great you are getting out when it is so hot. It's nice you will get to try homeschooling even if it is not the way you wanted to do it. I think we all have to remember that things will change, none of this is forever. Do you have a neighbor or relative you could coordinate with to give her a friend for some schooling?

    Have a wonderful week and stay well!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the worst time to get out in nature here, too! We're having a heatwave at the moment!
      Definitely, everything will continue to change and we'll just see how it turns out! My Little is lucky that she has two cousins that are the same age but getting together is an issue and will have to wait for now.
      Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  4. I love history. And your canoe trip sounds awesome! I love canoeing and kayaking, especially when the water is so still. I hear you on masks though, it's scary now to be around people when they're not masking or distancing. And good luck with the homeschooling! It does seem a lot safer than sending kids back into schools with everything getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I think history is quite fascinating!
      I'm definitely worried on the school front. We hit 15,000 new cases in one day Sunday morning and all the non-maskers I know are ready to send their kids back! Seems like a big yikes to me but I understand that some need that care. It's a waiting game now. :(

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the home school situation. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started watching Hamilton too with my oldest daughter, only halfway through but loving it!

    Your hike sounds lovely but I’m resisting the temptation to google Banana Spider as that sounds terrifying!!

    I like the look of the Shadows but I discovered that it is called The Shadow Friend here in the UK and I have it on request on NetGalley.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're also called Golden Orb Weavers and they are huge spiders. As big as my hand sometimes! Definitely terrifying! Between them and the snakes I'm always running into, I should really just stay home!
      Oh, I didn't know about the title difference but I like The Shadow Friend too!
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely trip!
    I haven't gotten around to Hamilton yet but people certainly seem to love it! I'll give it a watch at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know of anything to keep the horse flies away? I think I'm more afraid of those pesky things than even wasps! They seem more attacky.

    ReplyDelete