Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday - Most Read Authors


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish and taken over by That Artsy Girl in 2018. 

Most Read Authors

Goodreads used to have a special feature that shared a list of your most-read authors but they apparently trashed that last year. Sigh. 
I don't have the time to go through thousands of books to count them all so I am going to guestimate off of memory. It's been a while since I last looked at the list though. 


Neil Gaiman
I discovered Neil Gaiman when I was 20, thanks to my sis recommending his graphic novels (which wasn't my thing at all at the time). I bought Coraline shortly after and fell in love. I adore that he can write amazing stories for every age group. He never disappoints me.


VE Schwab
There's actually quite a few of her books that I haven't read yet but I still consider her one of my favorites and own most of her books!


Patricia A. McKillip
I discovered her fantasy stories in my early 20's and read as many as I could get my hands on. I wouldn't say the stories themselves are particularly memorable but I absolutely adore her writing style.


Rick RiordanI was also introduced to the Percy Jackson series in my 20's while buddy reading with a teen and fell in love with the stories, characters, and humor. I didn't care much for mythology before reading his books. Now I love it.

Roald Dahl
I didn't read a single Dahl book until my early 20's but I loved a lot of the film adaptations as a kid. I've read quite a few of his books since then and have been rereading a few to my daughter recently.


Stephen King
I'll be upfront and say I am not the biggest fan of King's books. His early stuff is great but I've DNF'd and disliked just as many (or more) than I've liked. I do appreciate his ability to weave real-life horrors into his stories.
Ransom RiggsI'm pretty sure I've read at least 6 books of his so far, even though they're all in the same Peculiar Children series. I love his writing though and can't wait to see more from him. 

Seanan McGuire
Here's another that I feel like I haven't read enough of yet but have read at least 6 of her books so far. I can't wait to continue the Wayward Children series and really want to read Middlegame soon!

Sarah J. Maas
I didn't love or hate either of these series but I also haven't continued either so that's saying something. I think I read 6 from TOG and 3 from ACOTAR. I think she has good ideas but her writing could use some work.


Runner-up mentions include L. Frank Baum because I read all 13 Wizard of Oz stories a few years ago, Jean Craighead George because I loved all of her stories as a kid, JK Rowling at 10 books but I'm not okay with her anti-trans stance so she does not get a full feature, Ray Bradbury, Marissa Meyer, Jane Austen, Leigh Bardugo... and there are definitely others from large series I read as a kid, but I think this will do for now!


How about you?
What authors have you read the most?


Follow

10 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! Seeing lots of different authors and numbers today!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replying late but it's definitely interesting to see other's answers! :)

      Delete
  2. Great list!! How did I forget to add Roald Dahl to my TTT post this week?!

    Here's a link to my TTT post:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2020/07/top-ten-tuesday-authors-ive-read-most.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil Gaiman was on my list, too!

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyyy, you're the only other person I've seen mention Jean Craighead George so far, so shout-out to your quality children's literature tastes! I worked out that I've actually only read 8 or 9 of hers ("only" as a relative term, given how many she has), but the majority were fantastic. I love her standard popular classics, but I'm also partial to her earliest books in the American Woodland Tales series. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that!! I adored her books as a kid and read My Side of the Mountain every year for most of elementary and middle school! I've been slowly collecting the ones I never got around to reading as a kid and hopefully will read them to my kiddo soon! :)

      Delete
  5. I was also unhappy to discover that the “most read author” thing no long exists! It made TTT much harder. Stephen King and VE Schwab made my list. I’m super excited for VE Schwab's new book.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely disappointing that they did away with it! I enjoyed seeing which authors I paid more attention to or read more of!

      Delete