Thursday, January 23, 2014

2014 Book Review: Cloud Atlas



Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

(read in January of 2014)

Genre:
adult fiction
science fiction - fantasy

Published:
2004 by Random House

Awards: Man Book Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2004)
Nebula Award Nominee (2005)
Arthur C. Clarke Award Nominee (2005)
National Book Critics Circle Award Nominee for Fiction (2004)
The Rooster - The Mourning News Tournament of Books (2005)

My Rating:
☆☆☆☆☆

Synopsis:
A postmodern visionary who is also a master of styles and genres, David Mitchell combines flat-out adventures, a Nabokovian love of puzzles, a keen eye for character, and a taste for mind-bending philosophical and scientific speculation in the tradition of Umberto Eco and Philip K. Dick. The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift across time like clouds across the sky.

MY THOUGHTS:
4.5 stars total

I loved how each story intertwined throughout completely different time periods. All of the stories were interesting but of course some were better than others. There are so many genres within this book that it's difficult to pinpoint to any one genre. The first story was a bit historical, the second set in the 50's and the third in the 70's, I think. (I can't remember now that I don't have the book with me anymore.)
 I was particularly fond of Somni451's story for being futuristic and definitely fit into the science fiction  genre. I enjoyed reading the small changes in words such as shoe being 'nikes' and movies being 'disneys'.
The story of 'Slooshin's Crossin' with Zachry and Meronym was also a favorite for it's post apocalyptic futuristic storyline. Some might have found that story to be a little difficult to read because of the strange wording and dialect but I tend to love reading strange accents and will read them out loud until I have them right.

I read this book so I could watch the movie and I have to be honest and say that I didn't know of this book until I heard that it was being adapted into a movie. I'm a stickler for reading the book first and 9 out of 10 times, it's worth reading the book first.
I REALLY got hooked on the movie trailer (sharing below) long before reading the book so I kind of had some of the actors in my mind for the characters. In the movie, this small group of actors play a bunch of characters in each of these stories and it was fun to see who played who and how different they looked for each role throughout.




No comments:

Post a Comment