Saturday, January 4, 2014

Stacking the Shelves #18

 
Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews that features the books we bought, borrowed, were gifted, and were given for review. 

 
Thrift Store Finds
I didn't get any books for Christmas this year so I had to treat myself by going shopping. One of my local thrift stores has a 1/2 price day on everything one weekend out of the month and I used to go for the books but this was the first time I'd been able to go in a while. I got 9 books for about $3 total. My favorite thing about thrift stores is that I never know what I'm going to find.
 
 
From top to bottom:
Guardians of Ga'Hoole: Lost Tales of Ga'Hoole
&
Guardians of Ga'Hoole: The Capture (#1) by Kathryn Lasky
 
Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
(I read this series as well as the Heaven series as a young teenager and they broke my heart. My copies are so old and damaged from being re-read so many times so I'm glad to have found this one.)
 
Fated by Alyson Noel
(I actually hated her first series so I only picked up this one because of the pretty cover and because it's so hard to find YA novels at thrift stores usually.)
 
Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin
(This one has an awesome red cover with trees and a moon on it and it kind of just screams werewolf story. I just loved the cover.)
 
Mrs. deWinter by Susan Hill
(I LOVE ghost stories and Susan Hill is best known for The Woman in Black which was recently adapted into a movie. I've read one other of her stories but found it hard to come across her works. When I saw her name, I immediately grabbed it and then found it to be a sequel to Daphne Du Maurier's 'Rebecca' which I just read for the first time in 2013. I'm pretty excited about reading it.)
 
Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
(I'm slowly collecting this series. I think I have 3-4 so far though I'm not sure which. Someday I'll be able to read them!)
 
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
(A murder mystery retelling of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice')
 
The School of Night by Louis Bayard
(I'm not sure what this book is about. Maybe mystery. Maybe historical fiction crossed with modern day. It has a nice cover, though.)
 
------------------------------
 
Did you get any good books for Christmas? How about with those gift cards?

5 comments:

  1. Charlaine Harris books are really fun -- I like relaxing with 'em. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series. I've read all but the last two. Did you hear that the Lifetime Channel is making a new mini-series about Flowers in the Attic? I hope they do a much better job than the horrible movie that was made. I'm a new GFC follower.
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard about it and I am very excited to see how they do it this time. I agree, the last movie adaptation was horrible! Thank you for the follow! :)

      Delete
  3. Like many others, I had a lot of fun with the Sookie Stackhouse books. I still haven't read them all, but have read most. Hopefully 2014 is the year I can finish the series and the one where you're able to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul! You've got a lot of great looking books. I'm tempted to reread Flowers in the Attic myself, there's a new movie coming out and even though I loved the first one, I want to reread the book and then watch the new film. I hope you enjoy all of your books :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete