Friday, November 16, 2018

You by Caroline Kepnes (Adult Book Review)

Title: You
Series: You #1
Author: Caroline Kepnes
Publisher: Atria / Emily Bestler Books
Publication date: September 25, 2014
Genre: Adult, Thriller
Length: 424 pages


Synopsis:
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card. 

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she'll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight--the perfect place for a "chance" meeting. 

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck's life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself waiting in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck's perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way--even if it means murder. 

My Thoughts:
I feel like I need to shake this one off and pretend I never read it but at the same time I know I won't get it out of my head easily. 

This was one of the most disturbing books I've ever read and how fitting that it mentions American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis in it. You is on a different level but it definitely left me feeling similarly unsettled. 

Joe Goldman runs a bookstore where he meets Guinevere Beck for the first time. He stalks her on social media, quickly inserts himself into her life, and does everything he can to stay there. 

You is written in the second person, meaning the main character, Joe, is talking to you, about you; you being Beck. I haven't encountered this point of view often so it was a bit refreshing. It was executed very well and I couldn't help but get pulled into the mind of Joe, oddly sympathizing with him when things don't go his way, all the while knowing from the beginning that Joe is a predator. A dangerous one. Being in his mind was no light thing. 

We learn up front just what Joe will do to get into Beck's good graces, and once he's there, he will do anything to keep her attention. If the writing and pov weren't so gripping, I probably wouldn't have continued with this book. The subject matter is out of my comfort zone (and boy did it make me uncomfortable at times!) and not my usual genre either, but I couldn't give up on Joe or Beck no matter how unnerving their 'relationship' was. 
I also enjoyed that I never knew what was going to happen next. I kept trying to figure it out but was always surprised (but perhaps I just don't read enough books like this for it to be predictable).

I hear there's a sequel and I'm honestly kind of torn on whether or not to read it. I think I've had quite enough of Joe Goldberg for a while but maybe I'll be in the mood for a thriller again in the future. 
I'm also unsure if I'll watch the tv series adaptation right away. I did watch the pilot episode when it aired and that was the reason I gave the book a chance! 

Content Warning: Lots of adult language, mentions of sex, masturbation, and more. 



A post shared by Lazy Day Lit (@lazydaylit) on

No comments:

Post a Comment