Friday, May 31, 2019

May 2019 Reading Wrapup

Hello readers!

It's been a minute since I've done a monthly wrap-up.
Spring is always a busy time here, full of outdoor adventures and working in the garden, but it's starting to get hot hot hot out again so I may have more time to read (and write)! It's easier for me to update what I'm reading on bookstagram but I still love the blogging community and will try to stay active here.

I've been mostly sticking to reviews around here so here's all the newer stuff I read or posted in May!






I ended up feeling really nostalgic and then a bit heartbroken after rereading Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls last month. 







I read the new 'all-too-possible' dystopian Young Adult novel, Internment by Samira Ahmed, about a young Muslim-American and her family that are rounded up and sent to internment camps.




I read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah in the last few days of April and wow, was this an amazing 5 star read! If you enjoy WW2 historical fiction, this is a must read! 





Books I Read in May


I started and almost finished the Shadow and Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo! I've put this one off for too long and now that it's being adapted by Netflix into an 8 episode series, I figured I'd give it a try. For YA, it's worth the read! 

I also read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed which I really enjoyed and gave 5 stars; my very first Agatha ChristieAnd Then There Were None;
and Flush by Carl Hiaasen to cross that F off my ABC Challenge!


Children's Picture Books We Read in May

I read hundreds of picture books to my daughter monthly but here are some of the ones I took the time to review.
Wilderness, Wonders of Nature, Frida Catlo, and Who's Afraid of Little Wolf? were books I received from the publisher in exchange for reviews! 




We learned just how far a good friend would go to cheer someone up in the adorable and heartwarming Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug by Jonathan Stutzman.






We journeyed through remote wilderness habitats in Wilderness: Earth's Amazing Habitats by Mia Cassany and beautifully illustrated by Marcos Navarro. This nonfiction picture book is stunning!





Because of Because by Mo Willems, we have a better appreciation for music and have been learning to read it as well! This book celebrates classical music and everything it takes to make a performance possible!






We were introduced to many different species of birds, insects, and fish with traditional illustrations and plenty of educational text in the beautiful giant nonfiction book, Wonders of Nature by Florence Guiraud





We watched on in amazement as both flora and fauna reclaimed the city in the lyrical read-aloud, The Night the Forest Came to Town by Charles Ghigna





We learned all about Frida Catlo (Kahlo) and her nine lives in this fun Wild Bios board book from Courtney Acampora and Maggie Fischer. The illustrations by Lindsay Dale-Scott are bright and festive and the play on words was lots of fun!




Say Something! by Peter H. Reynolds reminds and urges us to speak up and use our voices in many ways, to express ourselves, to help prevent bullying, and to help stop injustices in the world.





We learned about looking past our prejudices and just having fun like children should in Who is Afraid of Little Wolf? by Yaya Kawamura



Thanks for the visit! I hope you all had an awesome May! Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, those picture books look adorable. Enjoy your adventures! Have a good June!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete