Friday, April 30, 2021

April 2021 Reading Wrap up

Goodbye, April!

 April was a pretty decent month full of great books and fun adventures but I struggled with my mental health and with keeping up with my instagram and reviews thanks to my junky old laptop that finally kicked the bucket. Thankfully, I was able to replace it today and can hopefully get back into the flow of sharing! 

In my personal life:
We had several fun adventures in April, including a primitive camping trip, canoeing, swimming, and several long hikes on portions of the FL Trail. 
I also did a thing and bought rollerblades for me and quads for my Little to start skating! I haven't skated since I lost my blades 15+ years ago and though the muscle memory is still there it's basically like relearning all over again and it's quite challenging! 

We are winding down with homeschool and have been taking more outdoor field trips than anything this month. I'm not sure if we will take a summer break since we are so used to incorporating learning into our daily lives but it's nice to feel like we are almost finished! 

My garden is going well, though we did have almost all the pest problems this month. A hairy caterpillar invasion decimated my beautiful potato greenery and my avocado tree. I'm still scouring the yard for Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers that will get as big as my hand and eat everything in sight but we have an abundance of black beans, peppers, brussel sprouts, and green tomatoes right now! 
My star jasmine is prolific this year and smells amazing and I saw a rain lily pop up yesterday morning. Those little bright bursts of color make me so happy these days. 

I think that's all there is to share for now so here's my reading stats!


WHAT I READ IN APRIL


I loved The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate which I read for a challenge prompt but also because it is being adapted into a film (or already has?) and Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell was my historical book book club read for Mar/Apr with the #Bookstorians (on instagram). 



I read the 'A Girl Called Echo' sequential art series by Katherene Vermette while camping. 



And also started Bill Bryson's 'A Walk in the Woods' about his hike on the Appalachian Trail while camping and hiking our state trail. 



Then I flew through these fantastic adult novels, The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah about the Texan Dust Bowl and You Love Me by Caroline Kepnes, the 3rd book in the YOU series, which was adapted into a Netflix series. 



I borrowed Amanda Gorman's newly infamous poem, The Hill We Climb, from the library to read and also finished a novella called Animal Barn: A Cautionary Tale by David Spuler that I won from Goodreads. I'll have my thoughts up on all of these asap! 


Started but haven't finished:



Chapter Books Read to my Little




Challenge Progress

ABC CHALLENGE
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Mar: 12/26
Apr: 15/26

O - The One and Only Ivan
W - A Walk in the Woods
Y - You Love Me


POPSUGAR READING CHALLENGE

12. A book you've seen on someone else's shelves
The One and Only Ivan
30. A book set somewhere you'd like to visit
A Walk in the Woods
33. A book featuring three generations
The Four Winds
17. A book that has the same title as a song
You Love Me


52 BOOKS CHALLENGE

4. An author that is deceased
Beverly Cleary
13. Includes an exotic animal
The One and Only Ivan
15. Mentioned in another book
The One and Only Ivan (mentioned in The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise)
21. A book by Kristin Hannah
The Four Winds
24. A book you think should be read in schools
Animal Barn
28. Includes a historical event you know little about 
The Four Winds (The Dust Bowl)
31. Shares a similar title to another book
Animal Barn / Animal Farm


NEW TO ME AUTHORS
Katherine Applegate (maybe)
Maggie O'Farrell
Katherene Vermette
Bill Bryson
Amanda Gorman
David Spuler
Kate Elizabeth Russell


READ AROUND THE WORLD
(My attempt at tracking settings)

[The One and Only Ivan]
Washington

[Hamnet]
Stratford
London

[A Walk in the Woods]
Maine
Springer, Georgia
Amicolola Falls
Franklin
Fontana Lake
Clingman's Dome
Gatlinburg
Rockfish Gap
Front Royal
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

[The Four Winds]
Texas
California

[You Love Me]
Bainbridge, Washington
Los Angeles
Florida

[Listen, Slowly]
Los Angeles, CA
Vietnam



1001 Children's Books to Read Before You Grow Up list

March:179/1001
+3
Now We Are Six
Frog and Toad are Friends
Amelia Bedelia

April: 179/1001

Ramona the Pest

______________________

What was your favorite read of the month?


Keep up with what we're reading at
@LazyDayLit & @LazyDayKidLit



Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment