Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt & Tony DiTerlizzi

Title: The Spider and the Fly
Based on the cautionary tale by Mary Howitt
Author & Illustrator: Tony DiTerlizzi
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 1, 2002
Length: 40 pages
Format: Hardcover
Source: borrowed


Synopsis: 
" 'Will you walk into my parlor,' said the Spider to the Fly..."
is easily one of the most recognized and quoted first lines in all of English verse. But do you have any idea how the age-old tale of the Spider and the Fly ends? Join celebrated artist Tony DiTerlizzi as he--drawing inspiration from one of his loves, the classic Hollywood horror movies of the 1920s and 1930s--shines a cinematic spotlight on Mary Howitt's warning, written to her own childre about those who use sweet words to hide their not-so-sweet intentions. 

My Thoughts: 
This is the classic poem by Mary Howitz retold through brilliantly dark illustrations. This 'story' is a sort of parable about not talking to strangers or that words can be deceiving. It doesn't have the happiest of endings but I think that serves to ingrain the message into the reader's mind. 

I've had my eye on this book at the library for some time now. I'm a sucker for a good spooky story and I knew I wanted to read this but decided to wait until it was closer to Halloween. 

I only recently discovered Tony DiTerlizzi when I read The Spiderwick Chronicles a few months ago and have since found that DiTelizzi is a very talented artist. The black and white illustrations in The Spider and the Fly are fantastically gloomy. He did an amazing job of bringing this poem to life with illustrations that are dark and macabre without being overly spooky. I loved that the spider looked a bit like Vincent Price. 

1 comment:

  1. I love DiTerlizzi's stuff especially his faerie type illustrations. The Spiderwick books and even the gaming stuff he did a while back. such a great artist.

    ReplyDelete