Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #92 - Spooky Horror Books I Want to Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I've been MIA lately and really needed to get back into this weekly meme.

Today's prompt is a Halloween Freebie! 


Top Ten Spooky / Horror I Really Want to Read

I really love spooky stories and always make a point to read a few every October (though I'll read them at any time of year.) This year review books have gotten in the way and I've only been able to fit in a few short stories so far. So here are a few books that I would really like to read sooner or later. 


We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - I'm not even sure what this one is about at this point but it's been on TBR for years. 
Hell House by Richard Matheson - I really enjoyed I Am Legend and would like to read more by him; particularly his horror novels. 

Ghost Stories

Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories - I'm very interested to see how Dahl does ghost stories since everything else I've read has been so fantastically fun.
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake - Any time I ask for ghost recs, this book is mentioned. 
The Uninvited by Cat Winters - I really enjoyed In the Shadows of Blackbirds and I think this is her adult 'ghost story' so I'd love to try it out. 

Witches 

The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston - I love a good historical fiction novel about witches and this one sounds fantastic. Plus I think it's a trilogy and that appeals to me when it comes to good witch stories.
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman - I doubt this one is really spooky but I loved the movie and would like to read this one some day. 
The Witches of BlackBrook by Tish Thawer - This one I've almost never seen anywhere but I did read one single review on it that sold me. 

Vampires

Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker - I bought this years ago, right after reading Dracula and then never got around to reading it!
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist  - I saw the movie a few years ago and remember thinking the book probably has a lot more to it. 

And a few newer ones just because

Does anyone know of any good horror stories about werewolves? It seems like everything is romance or urban fantasy kind of stuff these days but I would love to see some good old-fashioned killer werewolves. Perhaps something a bit like Hemlock Grove. 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! I loved Anna Dressed in Blood...naturally! ;) LOL! And ooh Dracula the Undead was good from what I remember! I read it pre-blogging days. Also liked And The Trees Crept In (Creeper Man). Need to read The Bone Witch and The Women in the Walls still as well! Great picks!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    (Check your email!! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here with Let The Right One In- saw the movie but haven't read the book. And Bone Witch looks really good. I wish I had a good werewolf rec- I like old fashioned werewolves too and it seems like there are not a lot of those out there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I have We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Witches Daughter on my list. I didn't even know that We Have Always Lived in the Castle was a creepy read. I had forgotten entirely what I had heard about it through a booktuber that convinced me to read it. I wonder if I'll have time to squeeze it in before Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big fan of scary books as I am a scaredy cat as people would call it but some of these books look intriguing and I hope you enjoy them. I am a new follower of your blog and I look forward to upcoming posts :) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete