Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020 TBR & READING GOALS


Happy New Year!

Let's kick off the new year (and decade) with some new reading goals!

I'm going to continue my 'easy' goal of 52 books, at least one per week, since I don't know how busy I will be this year and anything and everything could change.
I would like to continue my goal of reading more nonfiction, reading out of my comfort zone/usual genres, and reading more of my own books from my shelves. This year I'd like to read at least 25-30 chapter books to my daughter. I'd also like to continue reading and reviewing as consistently as possible!

My TBR List!


My 2020 TBR List on ListChallenges
I make one of these 100-book lists every year just to give myself a good variety of books on my shelves to read and so I can mark them off later. If you're not familiar with listchallenges, it's a site with visual lists that you can 'check off' what you've read or done or seen, (etc) on lists you've made or others have made and shared. I like using it to keep track of the books I've read or bought (and especially their covers) in one place. I also keep this list on my Goodreads.


Reading Challenges!
I plan on joining in on a few challenges this year so I will list them here but haven't shared my sign up posts for all of them yet.
ABC CHALLENGE
I do this one every year on my own but would like to join in on a group challenge this year to help motivate me and find recs to fill those gaps!
See my 2020 ABC Challenge list!

Around the World Challenge

I mentioned this in my End of Year Survey (as my most-viewed post in 2019) and shared my personal maps filled with settings from books in my 2019 Wrap Up.  (The map shown here is my master map with about 3-4 years of settings.) I'd like to continue tracking the settings of my books and read more from those continents and countries I've neglected.

PopSugar Reading Challenge
I joined in on this for the first time last year and didn't follow it exclusively but did mark off what prompts I ended up reading. I like a lot of the prompts for 2020 so I will join in again.

BookRiot's Read Harder Challenge

This will be my first year participating in the Read Harder challenge but that has been one of my biggest reading goals for the past year or two so I definitely want to join in on these prompts!


2020 New Release Challenge
I don't think I've ever participated in this challenge before but I have been enjoying reading new releases a lot lately (and enjoying the discussions that come with them!) and want to continue that in this new decade!

2020 Tackle My TBR
Here's a challenge I'm going to use to motivate me to read more of those backlist books sitting on my shelves! 

I may participate in a KidLit / picture book challenge as well if I can find one but for now, this will do!

Are you participating in any of these?
Feel free to link to your goals/challenges posts! I'd love to see what you all have planned for 2020!


Happy New Year & Happy Reading!


Follow

3 comments:

  1. Nice goals! No, I'm not participating in any of the same reading challenges you are this year.

    My goal is to read 52 books in 2020. All 52 books to be read will come from my current 'to be read' pile. No specific titles at this time have been decided upon. However, I do plan to read 13 books that I've acquired through Goodreads Giveaways, 13 books that I've had acquired prior to May 2014, and the 26 remaining books will be chosen at random.

    I've read a lot of nonfiction over the years... Let me know if you would like some suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to stick to the 52 books goal as well this year!
      And thank you! I would love some nonfiction recommendations! Your favorites would suffice but I'd love some for anything relating to US History or World History if you have any! :D

      Delete
    2. Great!! I read, loved, and reviewed the following nonfiction books:

      1. Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard (US History about President Garfield. 5 out of 5 stars Here's a link to my review: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/07/destiny-of-republic-tale-of-madness.html)

      2. Get Well Soon: History's Worst Plagues and the Heroes Who Fought Them by Jennifer Wright (World History - 5 out of 5 stars Here's a link to my review: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/07/get-well-soon-historys-worst-plagues.html)

      3.Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI by Robert K. Ressler and Tom Shachtman (US History - 5 out of 5 stars. Here's link to my review: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/07/whoever-fights-monsters-my-twenty-years.html)

      4. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (US History - 5 out of 5 stars Here's a link to my review: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-immortal-life-of-henrietta-lacks-by.html)

      5. The Assassination of the Archduke by Greg King & Sue Woolmans (World History particularly of WWI. Here's a ink to my review: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-assassination-of-archduke-by-greg.html)

      6. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World by Aja Raden (World History - Here's a ink to my review: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/05/stoned-jewelry-obsession-and-how-desire.html)

      7. Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm (US & World History about the 1st atomic bomb. BTW, this year marks the 75th anniversary of the 1st atomic bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Here's a ink to my review: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/08/trinity-graphic-history-of-first-atomic.html)

      8. The Professor & the Madman by Simon Winchester (Loved this book about the history of the Oxford English Dictionary!! Here's a link to my review: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-professor-madman-by-simon-winchester.html)

      Delete