Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book Review: Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs

Title: Library of Souls
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #3
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: September 22, 2015
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy
Length: 458 pages
Source: Borrowed


Synopsis:
The adventures that began with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and continued with Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls.

As the story opens, sixteen year old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he's diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.


They'll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil's Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It's a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all.

Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography.

My Thoughts:
There was just long enough between Hollow City and this last book to help me forget plenty of what happened in the first two books. But do I have time to re-read them? No. Do I want to? Of course! Miss Peregrine's has been on my re-read list for 2-3 years now.

I wasn't so lost that I forgot everything but I feel like not remembering every little detail took away from my experience with Library of Souls. Nonetheless, it was pretty good and I thoroughly enjoyed the ending to this peculiar series.


This really has been such an awesome trilogy.
I loved the stand out peculiar characters, the horror, the history, the vintage photos... These books were such a fun macabre adventure! I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation of Miss Peregrine's and am wondering if they'll do all three books. From the moment the first book started to get a little 'peculiar' I knew that Tim Burton could make this book into an awesome movie. I really hope I was right!

I think that Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is still my favorite out of the three but Library of Souls seemed to have a lot more edge of the seat action in it. 

One of the things I liked least about this last book was the photographs. I felt that some photos were a little pointless, didn't help the story, and actually took away from how I imagined certain things to be; such as Abaton's entrance and the caves. I just saw them differently in my head and the photos seemed pretty boring to be honest. I loved the photographs in the first two books and these last ones were a bit of a let down.


Other than the pictures, I felt that this was the perfect ending to a series and would recommend it to everyone who likes a little 'strange' with their stories! 


My Rating

5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment