Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch (Picture Book Review)

The Paper Bag Princess
by Robert Munsch
Illustrated by Micahel Martchenko
Published by Annick Press
on May 1, 1980
Length: 36 pages
Ages: 3-5


Synopsis:
Princess Elizabeth is slated to marry Prince Ronald when a dragon attacks the castle and kidnaps Ronald. In resourceful and humorous fashion, Elizabeth finds the dragon, outsmarts him, and rescues Ronald--who is less than pleased at her un-princess-like appearance. 

My Thoughts: 
Princess Elizabeth's day is entirely ruined when a dragon swoops in and burns up all her clothes and takes off with her betrothed, Prince Ronald. Surprisingly, a paper bag survived the dragon's fire so Princess Elizabeth has something to wear as she journeys to find the dragon and get back her Prince. 

I somehow missed this little treasure growing up. I may have thought more favorably of princesses if I hadn't. I love that it's not your typical boy-saves-girl story and the ending just makes me chuckle every time I read it. We need more clever and resourceful princesses in children's books!




Want more princesses that save themselves?
Check out these great adaptations by Beth Woollvin!
    

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment