Friday, March 27, 2020

The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's #5) by Ransom Riggs (YA Fantasy Book Review)


The Conference of the Birds
(Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series #5)
by Ransom Riggs
Published by Dutton Books for Young Readers
on January 14, 2020
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Length: 400 pages
Ages: 12 - 17 years

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository



Synopsis:
"Do you trust me?"

An instant bestseller, A Map of Days launched readers into the previously unexplored world of American peculiars, one bursting with new questions, new allies, and new adversaries.

Now, with enemies behind him and the unknown ahead, Jacob Portman's story continues as he takes a brave leap forward into The Conference of the Birds, the next installment of the beloved, bestselling Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children trilogy for its mixture of historical fiction, fantasy, and horror and for its unique addition of peculiar photographs. I loved the story and the peculiar characters and was so excited when I heard about a second trilogy in the works. I loved the new direction that A Map of Days took Jacob in, taking us the Americas where Jacob saves a highly sought-after peculiar named Noor. His actions change the direction of the original trilogy to something new altogether and I'm eager to see how it's going to finish up!

I remember starting A Map of Days and thinking that it was like coming back to an old friend; or a group of friends, really. I hadn't realized how much I had missed these peculiar characters.

In The Conference of the Birds, the fate of all peculiars seems to hang in the balance. Jacob must gather his old friends to keep Miss Peregrine and the other embrynes safe. And Noor as well.

I especially like the direction the author has taken with this new trilogy. I feel like he had a total change of heart about the story and Jacob reflects that. His attachments and friendships change and Jacob starts making his own choices, even though they go against what Miss Peregrine and his friends want. I also appreciate that this book points out the problematic eras of American history.

Follow

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I didn't realize this series was up to 5 books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a little surprised that there are that many as well. I'm not that great at keeping up with long series!

      Delete