Friday, May 20, 2022

The Guide by Peter Heller (Adult Mystery Thriller Book Review)


The Guide
by Peter Heller
Published by Knopf
on August 24, 2021
Genre: Adult, 
Length: 272 pages

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository

Synopsis:
The best-selling author of The River returns with a heart-racing thriller about a young man who, escaping his own grief, is hired by an elite fishing lodge in Colorado, where amid the natural beauty of sun-drenched streams and forests he uncovers a plot of shocking menace. 


My Thoughts:

Jack thinks he's found the perfect guide job at the prestigious Kingfisher Lodge, with it's beautiful stretches of river nestled in the Colorado mountains; especially with his first client being the beautiful and talented signer, Alison K, who also happens to be a natural fisherwoman. But when they're shot at on a neighboring lodges' property line, Jack starts to notice the little things that don't quite add up about the lodge, it's employees, and it's patrons.  

 Though the main character is clearly suffering from the recent death of a friend and family member, The Guide starts us off with this seemingly perfect, peaceful little slice of Colorado and all seems right with the world despite that this is set during the height of the covid pandemic.

This ended up being the perfect, peaceful read for me. I really enjoyed the setting and the outdoorsy nature of the story itself and it reminded me of being in the mountains, which is exactly what I needed and was looking for. 
On the other hand, this is the first fiction novel I've read set during covid times and I thought it might deter me from enjoying the story but it ended up being a well-woven part of the overall story and I enjoyed it nevertheless. 

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys outdoorsy stories (specifically about fishing) or anyone looking for a covid-based mystery or thriller.


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment