Monday, May 20, 2013

Book Review: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie


There are a number of books that everyone should read as a young child that I, for one, did not. Among those are The Wizard of Oz (all 14-15 books), Alice in Wonderland, and Peter Pan. I began to accumulate these books just this year and so I hope to read all of them sooner or later.
Peter Pan seemed like the perfect book to read during 'Children's Book Week'.

PETER PAN
by
J.M. Barrie

Genre:
 Children's Book
Published:
 first published in 1911
Pages:
160
My Rating:
☆☆☆☆☆
I guess I'm kind of biased about my rating for this because I have always loved the movies.
SYNOPSIS:
 Popular fantasy about Peter, the boy who won't grow up, and his companion Tinker Bell, transports young readers to Never-Never Land where together with Wendy and the other Darling children they meet Princess Tiger Lily, the Lost Boys, and the nasty Captain Hook.
MY THOUGHTS:
Wendy and her brothers, John and Michael, live out a pretty ordinary childhood telling stories and make-believing until one night a boy named Peter Pan loses his shadow in their nursery. From there they fly to Neverland with the help of the fairy, Tinkerbell, and enjoy countless adventures, both good and bad, including mermaids and pirates.

Reading this made me rather nostalgic of my childhood. It reminded me what it was like to pretend and imagine things in a much more interesting way than we do as adults. It reminded me of the adventures I had in my own backyard (some including fairies) and how much adults forget these things over time.
Peter Pan was always one of my favorite Disney movies and I REALLY loved 'Hook' (starring Robin Williams) as a kid as well. I even went and saw the 2003 version of Peter Pan in theaters as a teenager. I think the thought of never growing up resonates with every child and sticks with every adult. Who hasn't dreamed of visiting Neverland at least once? (Ok, I feel obligated to say that I don't mean Neverland Ranch.)



 What childhood books do you think that everyone should read while they are young?

No comments:

Post a Comment