Friday, June 14, 2019

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (Young Adult Book Review)

Shadow and Bone
(The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
by Leigh Bardugo
Published by Henry Holt and Company
On June 4, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Length: 358 pages

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository

Literary Awards:
Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction (2012)
Lincoln Award Nominee (2014)
Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award Nominee (2014)
Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult (2014)
Rhode Island Teen Book Award Nominee (2015)
South Carolina Book Award Nominee for Junior Book (2015)

Synopsis:
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee. 

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life--a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. 

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha... and the secrets of her heart. 

My Thoughts:
Alina Starkov is a young orphan soldier who hopes not to die on the Shadow Fold but comes to learn that she has a buried power that saves her life and may be the key to saving all of Ravka. She is whisked off to the Little Palace by The Darkling, where she is trained with her fellow magic-wielding Grisha. But being a Sun Summoner has its downfalls as well as its perks and Alina finds that her life is anything but easier thanks to it. 

I wish I hadn't put this one off for so long. I honestly kind of wish I had read it instead of Maas' 'Throne of Glass' and ACOTAR series, which eventually aided in my turning away from YA.  This was much more interesting, with characters I didn't loathe, but I'm still a little disillusioned by YA right now and think I would have liked it better when I was younger.  

This book is filled with magic and evil and romance and is perfect for young fantasy lovers. 

I did not read this trilogy before I read the Six of Crows duology and because of that, I didn't quite understand the Grisha magic parts of it. My mistake. I don't think it's required to read this trilogy first but I will say I would have been less confused about the magic system if I had. 

I don't want to give anything away but if you enjoy YA, fantasy, or reading the book before the tv/film adaptation, I'd give it a chance! Netflix will be adapting this into an eight-episode series! 


No comments:

Post a Comment