Wednesday, June 12, 2019

We Are the Gardeners by Joanna Gaines and kids (Picture Book Review)

We Are the Gardeners
by Joanna Gaines & kids
Illustrated by Juliana Swaney
Published by Thomas Nelson
on March 26, 2019
Length: 40 pages

Ages: 4-8 

In We Are the Gardeners, Joanna and the kids chronicle the adventures of starting their own family garden. From their failed endeavors, obstacles to overcome (bunnies that eat everything!), and all the knowledge they've gained along the way, the Gaines family shares how they learned to grow a happy, successful garden. As it turns out, trying something new isn't always easy, but the hardest work often yields the greatest reward. There are always new lessons to be learned in the garden!

You and your children can learn all about the Gaines family's story of becoming gardeners in Joanna's first children's book--starting with the first little fern Chip bought for Jo. Over the years, the family's love for gardening blossomed into what is now a beautiful, bustling garden. 


Our Thoughts:
Joanna Gaines and her kids chronicle their gardening adventures; from the lonely little fern that Chip brought home, to the sprawling gardens they have now. Through mistakes and heartaches, they persevere and continue their garden until they can finally reap the rewards of their hard work. 

This is a fantastic look at gardening, and one I haven't really encountered in picture books before but closely mirrors my own journey with the hobby. I did not grow up in a gardening household but I did learn to love plants from my own mother and started growing them myself as soon as I was free to. Fast forward to ten-plus years of gardening lessons learned and I have a space to grow plants, vegetables, and fruit trees and a daughter that loves to join in that I hope will learn from it just as much as I have.


I really loved the focus on persevering with gardening, even after so many setbacks. I have dabbled in gardening since I was a young adult and learned many lessons from it and have many still to learn. It's very good advice to apply to all aspects of your life. 
Don't give up. Try again. You'll learn to do better. 

I will note that this picture book has absolutely no mention of religion. No dedications or quotes to, from, or about religion, which is something I haven't encountered before with Thomas Nelson books.  The gorgeous illustrations and moral of the story make it worth the read! 


No comments:

Post a Comment