Friday, April 3, 2020

To Kill A Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel adapted by Fred Fordham (Graphic Novel Book Review)


To Kill A Mockingbird:
A Graphic Novel
Written by Harper Lee
Adapted/Illustrated by Fred Fordham
Published by Harper
on October 30, 2018
Genre: Graphic Novel, Classics
Length: 288 pages

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository

Synopsis:
"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

A portrait of race and class, innocence and injustice, hypocrisy and heroism, tradition and transformation in the Deep South of the 1930's, Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird remains as important today as it was upon its initial publication in 1960, during the turbulent years of the Civil Rights Movement.

Now, reborn as a graphic novel, Scout, Jem, Boo Radley, Atticus Finch, and the small town of Maycomb, Alabama, are all captured in illustrations by artist Fred Fordham.

My Thoughts:

I read To Kill A Mockingbird at least twice in middle or high school as required reading. I remember thinking it was a good book with an important message. I remember the debates and discussions it brought up in my small town classroom. I remembered the popular characters, too, but I couldn't really remember the story itself. It's been over a decade, after all.

I'd been planning to reread this book for quite some time when I came across this. It's a full-length graphic novel that is very true to the original prose. Most graphic novel adaptations I read seem to summarize the story into a short story-sequence but this one followed the entire story, giving us all the details and dialogue paired with lovely illustrations that brought the story to life and reminded me very much of the film adaptation that I also remember seeing in high school.

I won't go into detail about the plot or my thoughts on it but I'm glad to have revisited this important read in this particular format. Fred Fordham has done justice to this classic. I especially enjoyed the soft color palette and well-done characters' expressions and body language. If you like To Kill A Mockingbird or graphic novels, I would definitely recommend this!

 
Follow

2 comments:

  1. Oh, cool! I hope we get more classics in graphic novel form. That’s a fun way to revisit the classics without having to reread them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too! I'm really enjoying the few the few I've read so far! :)

      Delete