Monday, July 15, 2013

BookTube-A-Thon Goals

 
BookTube Read-A-Thon
July 15 - July 21
 
Raeleen from Padfootandprongs07 and ArielBissett, two booktubers (people that make book related youtube videos), have created a read-a-thon for the booktube community.
Most read-a-thons originate on blogs like this so it's often difficult for booktubers to participate and/or their participation is rather obscure since linking videos to blogs just doesn't work well. These booktubers have established personas in the 'Booktube' community and I've been watching a lot of their videos for a year or two. Most of them are young and read a lot of YA but there are a few that are more my age (26) and I value all of their opinions.
 
Raeleen and Ariel thought it would be fun to create challenges for this read-a-thon.
There are 7 in all.
 
CHALLENGES:
1) read an average of 300 pages a day
2) read a book with over 500 pages
3) re-read one book
4) finish a series/trilogy
5) read a book that's been on your shelf forever
6) listen to an audiobook
7) read a classic
 
I'm not a booktuber. I have never been comfortable with talking to cameras, even if it is about my favorite subject. But this is the first BookTube-a-thon and I've been really excited about participating in it. I originally only planned to blog about my goals and progress here on this blog but I knew my participation would be very obscure and I wouldn't get any feedback or motivation that way. So I made my very first vlog ever about it, explaining the challenges, my goals, and what I would be reading for it.
 
Here it is:
Please excuse my extreme awkwardness. There are also quite a few editing mistakes but I kind of did it last minute and really didn't want to spend a whole day re-filming or re-editing.
 
 
And in case you really don't want to watch my awkward face (I really don't blame you), here are my goals and the books I will be reading.
 
READ 300 PAGES A DAY
I'm pretty sure that this ISN'T going to happen. In the few read-a-thons that I've participated in in the past, I've only read about 200 pages a day. I just have a ton of other things to do each day.
Today (Monday) , my fiancé and I are celebrating 8 years of being together so other than spending an hour or so updating my social media and creating this post, I won't have much time to read. We are spending some much needed time together today. :)
I'm also still writing for Camp NaNoWriMo (I'm way behind on my wordcount goals) and of course, there is just so much to do throughout the week. I have a birthday event to go to and we are going house hunting this week as well.
So I'm going to TRY to get at least 200 pages read a day and even that is pushing it.
 
READ A BOOK WITH OVER 500 PAGES
I will be reading The Enchantress by Michael Scott which is 517 pages long.
Also, if I read the first 3-4 books during this week, I will be reading The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan which is 521 pages long.
 
RE-READ ONE BOOK
I will be re-reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien for this challenge. I first read it in 6th grade, over 15 years ago, so it's about time I did. I've been meaning to re-read it this year anyway, since it was adapted into a movie.
 
FINISH A SERIES/TRILOGY
The Enchantress by Michael Scott will also count for this challenge. It is the 6th and final book in 'The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel' series.
 
READ A BOOK THAT'S BEEN ON YOUR SHELF FOREVER
I have a ton of books that have been on my shelf forever but the book I chose for this challenge is 'A Room With A View' by E.M. Forster because it is on my 2013 To-Read list and also because it's just shy of 200 pages and shouldn't take too long to read.
 
READ A CLASSIC
A Room With A View is a classic and so is The Hobbit so those will count for this challenge as well.
 
LISTEN TO AN AUDIOBOOK
I've never listened to an audiobook before. I recently downloaded The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater from audiobooksync for free with this challenge in mind. I've already started listening to it because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get through it for this read-a-thon. I wasn't sure I'd be able to pay attention to it. To be honest, I CAN'T pay attention to it at all unless I'm listening to it while driving. The audiobook is 10 hours long and I won't be driving for 10 hours within the week so I've cheated and have been listening to it for the past 3 days.
__________________
 
To boost my page count, and in case I finish those books and audiobook, I will be reading The Archived  by Victoria Schwab.
 
I doubt I'll get past those 5 books and audiobook but if I do, I'll let you know what else I read during my wrap-up post. :)
__________________
 
So those are the challenges and my goals.

Let me know if you are participating in this BookTube read-a-thon, and if you are a booktuber who comes across this or also blogs, let me know and I will go subscribe to your channel. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment