Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #11

 
 
Top Ten Tueday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
 
Top Ten Best/Worst Movie Adaptations
 
In no specific order.
Also, these are just the first that came to mind.
I didn't want to spend all day thinking over every single book to movie adaptation.
 
Best
 
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
I'm biased about this one because I watched the movie at least 200 times before I read the book. It's also one of my most favorite movies ever.
 
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Yes, they left a lot out and they changed a few things but this is one book and movie series that I can come back to a million time and never get tired of. Because it's Harry Potter.
 
Flipped by Wendelin Van Drannen
I unknowingly watched the film first. I thought it was such a cute movie. Then I read the book and loved it but I think I loved the movie more so that is why I am putting it in this list.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
I adored this creepy children's book and loved the Tim Burton stop-motion movie adaptation, too, though there were a few things about it that I didn't like a ton.

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl
I actually love ALL of Roald Dahl's book to movie adaptations including Matilda, The Witches, and James and the Giant Peach. I really loved that Fantastic Mr. Fox was done in stop-motion, though.
 
Worst
 
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
I really loved this series but I remember being very disappointed over who was cast as Annabeth. She wasn't blonde, she didn't look or dress like a tomboy, and where the heck was her baseball cap? Definently not what I expected. I see they are trying to redeem themselves in Sea of Monsters by making the same actress look more like Annabeth. I'I vaguely remember that they butchered a big portion of the ending, making it seem like a stand alone movie. I'm surprised they filmed a second one.

World War Z by Max Brooks
I'm throwing this one in here because I just didn't like that they took the title of this book and created a movie out of it. The movie was good but it wasn't anything like the book and I understand that it would have been pretty hard to make a movie out of the book since it's just a series of interviews and no real plot but it was entirely misleading for those of us who hadn't read the book before seeing the movie trailer.

I'm having a hard time choosing more bad adaptations. I know there are lots out there but for a lot of movies, I've seen the movie first and for others, I might have hated it when it first came out because I was nit-picking the details but after a while, I begin to see the movie as separate from the book. Like with The Hunger Games; I watched it in theaters and didn't really like it. But a year or two later, I watched it again and did like it. I like the beginning of Warm Bodies but I didn't really like the rest of it. I read Beautiful Creatures a few years before watching the movie and couldn't remember the details to hate it so I thought it was okay.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment