Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Sunday Post - Wk 23 - Black Lives Matter


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
and is a chance to share news, both new and old!



Currently reading:

 I'm still pretty distracted but I am forgoing my usual writing time at night for some quiet reading time to catch up this week. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory disappeared for a few days so we're back to reading that now.

Recently finished:

Recent Posts & Reviews:
Since last Sunday, I've shared my May Wrapup, my June 2020 TBR, my first Top Ten Tuesday since 2017, another Stacking the Shelves, and three new reviews!

Greta and the Giants by Zoe Tucker & Zoe Persico is one of newest favorites, about a girl named Greta who dares to speak up. 
The Night Gardener by The Fan Brothers is an older pick that was new to us. 
The Deep by Alma Katsu was the latest book to really hook me! It's historical fiction with a paranormal twist and set on both the Titanic and Britannic!


Off the blog...

It's been a week. I've been so caught up in current events that I haven't had much time to concentrate on reading. It's been raining for the past three or four days so it's been terribly humid but that's always great for my garden with all the Spring droughts. There's nothing new to report besides my cone ginger blooming. We're still observing the tadpoles that ended up in our pool last month but they haven't grown legs yet.

As for the current events,

BLACK LIVES MATTER

If you don't understand why, perhaps these memes will help?





And a little positivity:

Links & Lists
I'm going to add a few resources here in case anyone is in search of more authors of color to add to their TBRs!

A list of independent Black-owned book stores
from LitHub

42 Amazing Books Written by Black Authors
from Buzzfeed

Fiction Books by Black Authors

on ListChallenges

Indie Books by Black Authors
(This one has several recommendations by genres that include Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Paranormal Romance, Historical Fiction, and more.)



What's going on in your part of the world?
How are you handling the latest events?


Follow

8 comments:

  1. Ooh Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- I loved that book as a kid! The Night Gardener looks interesting too.

    It HAS been a week. Wow. Watching tadpoles though sounds kinda awesome. :)

    Thank you- I want to find more SF/F reads by POC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tadpoles are fun! Roald Dahl is fun to read aloud, but I'm starting to realize how problematic his books are! Lots of fat-shaming and adult themes mixed in! :(
      Have a great week, Greg! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It has been a week, right? I agree with the meme you posted, caring about another's life isn't about politics, it's about being human. We were all created equal by the same maker.

    The Deep sounds really good! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a really tough time concentrating on reading last week, too. Thanks for sharing the book list links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a broken record saying that but this week was a lot! <3
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. The blue comic about growing as a person has been one of my favorites to share lately :) It's definitely a chaotic time. Remember to take care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It's been very helpful!
      And thanks so much! <3
      Have a great week!

      Delete