Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Sunday Post - Wk 24 - Hiking & Stuff


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
and is a chance to share news, both new and old!

Hey there, bloggers!

Here's my week at a glance!

Currently reading:

I purchased an ecopy of Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Said this week and started my graphic novel choice for the month, Glass Town by Isabel Greenberg.


Recent Reviews:

We shared Inky the Octopus by Erin Guendelsberger and NatGeoKids: Extreme Ocean by Sylvia A. Earle for World Oceans Day and also reviewed You're the Hero: Pirate Adventure by Lily Murray, which is a fantastic 'create-your-own-story' book, and Why Do We Cry? by Fran Pintadera this week!

What I'm Watching:

We had a family movie night and watched Trolls 2, which was really good with themes about unity and celebrating our differences, and the new Artemis Fowl movie!


Off the blog:

I've been terribly disappointed in the blatant racism and/or lack of understanding of it from locals, old acquaintances, et cetera that has been on display loud and clear this week so I've taken a little break from most social media and spent more time blogging, signing petitions, and sending emails, among other things. I feel like the best thing to do right now is to educate myself more and continue to bring diverse literature into my own spaces.

Monday was World Oceans Day so we did some ocean themed arts & crafts, storytime, and educational videos throughout the week.

We also finally ventured out into the world for a hike. We didn't have to stop anywhere or interact with anyone or touch anything so that was great and my kiddo and I got some peaceful time in our happy place. We've been cooped up since early March so it was nice to 'get out' but Covid19 cases and deaths are going up drastically in Florida this week.

It looks like we are heading into rainy/hurricane season but we did get two dry, sunny days this week so we got lots of yard work done while we could. The grass was getting way too tall. There's nothing new going on in the garden but we are getting lots of peppers now.

How'd the week treat you? Anything new to share?

Stay well! Happy reading!
Follow

18 comments:

  1. Nice new reads! I hope you enjoy them all!


    Here's my StS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my daughter and I absolutely loved Trolls 2!! Will have to check out the Artemis Fowl one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the music stuck in my head but they're such good movies! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I really liked Trolls 2. I'm trying to get my son to read Artemis Fowl so we can watch the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a great Artemis Fowl graphic novel if you're looking for a quick read! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  4. I need to see Trolls 2. I loved the first one, but my boyfriend was very meh about it, so I'm waiting til things open up/he goes back to working at his actual place of work/he goes out for drinks after work with people. And then all the trolls will be mine. :) Have a great week!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like some good self-care time to me! :D
      Enjoy and have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Trolls is new to me, guess that´s next what I will watch *smile* It sounds great that you could enjoy some quality time outside. Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Trolls is bright and colorful with lots of pop music which is usually not my thing but they're quite positive and empowering movies and also quite fun!

      Delete
  6. We are going to keep staying inside until things start to work out. I really just think this is way too early for everything to open but people will do what they want and I will just keep doing my thing because it makes me feel better! :)

    Our Yard needs to be weeded, my husband started but it was getting hot by the afternoon. It is much cooler today.

    I hope you have a great week, Stacy! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cases have gotten crazy this week so I'll be continuing what we're doing as well. It's not worth the risk and I don't mind not being around people at all! :D
      And thank you!

      Delete
  7. Good stuff. People will disappoint but I agree keep educating yourself. You might be interested in a movie I recently blogged about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fascinated by ocean stuff and am glad there are so many neat books out there that explore them. And I agree about the racism and appalling ideas some people have. I was seeing a lot of stuff on facebook and just had to turn away from that. It's especially hard when it's people you know.

    Take care and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We love books about the ocean! There's always something new to learn from them!
      FB has been extra exhausting this week but I'm trying not to be silent because of it.
      Have a great week, Greg!

      Delete
  9. Agreed I've seen some horrible things on social media. My grandchildren love books about the ocean. I need to watch Artemis Fowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's been terrible some places, but the support from the bookish community is great! I've seen so many great resources shared.
      Thanks for stopping by, Kimba! I hope you enjoy Artemis Fowl!

      Delete