Friday, July 9, 2021

The Cousins by Karen M. McManus (YA Mystery Thriller Book Review)

 


The Cousins
by Karen M. McManus
Published by Delacorte Press
on December 1, 2020
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller
Length: 337 pages
Ages: 14 - 17 years

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository

Synopsis:
Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah Story are cousins, but they barely know each other, and they've never even met their grandmother. Rich and reclusive, she disinherited their parents before they were born. So when they each receive a letter inviting them to work at her island resort for the summer, they are surprised... and curious. 

Their parents are all clear on one point--not going is not an option. This could be the opportunity to get back into Grandmother's good graces. But when the cousins arrive on the island, it's immediately clear that she has different plans for them. And the longer they stay, the more they realize how mysterious--and dark--their family's past is.


My Thoughts:

Three cousins who have never met are invited to work at their estranged grandmother's exclusive island resort for the summer. Having been disowned over a decade before, the families aren't quite sure what to make of the invitations but see it as an opportunity to fall back into their mothers'/grandmothers' good graces, or at least find out the mysterious reason they were disowned in the first place. 
Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah have grown up not knowing why their parents were disowned but have seen how it affects them and want to end the mystery themselves, but when they show up at the resort and meet a grandmother who doesn't even seem to know they were coming, the mystery only deepens. 

This is a solid YA mystery thriller with good pacing and a worthwhile twist ending, 
but I didn't love it and gave it three stars, which I will explain below. 

I've been gravitating towards mystery thrillers lately and this was what was available on my local library's Overdrive at the time so I gave it a go. I'd seen a lot of positive reviews for this author's previous book, One Of Us Is Lying, so I thought I'd give The Cousins a try since that one wasn't available. 

This started out well, with likable and unlikable characters and a mystery that some may find intriguing. The characters all seem upper-middle-class and with the rich grandmother and at least one of the characters' love for expensive things this seems to perfect for fans of Gossip Girl and the like. I'll be honest and admit that "rich kids' first world problems" isn't my favorite trope so I immediately disliked the financial manipulation in the first few scenes and since that is pretty much the whole point of the book, I just really didn't enjoy it.

I got 50% of the way through the ebook before it was due back so I switched to the available audiobook and that is where it got worse. The voice actors were almost all very droll, emotionless, and unfeeling. Especially Jonah's character. I honestly felt like I was back in high school listening to non-readers try to get through a textbook paragraph that was required to be read out loud. 
Alas, I have issues with not finishing a book sometimes so I kept on for that mystery and I won't say I was disappointed in it, but this just wasn't for me.  I may still try One Of Us Is Lying though!


You can see my original thoughts on this book on Bookstagram


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment