Friday, July 30, 2021

The Whispering Dead by Darcy Coates (Adult Paranormal Book Review)

  

The Whispering Dead
(Gravekeeper #1)
by Darcy Coates
Published by Poisoned Pen Press
on May 4, 2021
Genre: Adult, Paranormal, Ghost Stories
Length: 256 pages

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository

Synopsis:
Homeless, hunted, and desperate to escape a bitter storm, Keira takes refuge in an abandoned groundskeeper's cottage. Her new home is tucked away at the edge of a cemetery, surrounded on all sides by gravestones: some recent, some hundreds of years old, all suffering from neglect. 

And in the darkness, she can hear the unquiet dead whispering. 

My Thoughts:

Keira finds in the woods running from men she is certain are hunting her, and stumbles upon an unkempt cemetery where a helpful pastor helps to hide her and then offers for her to stay once he learns about her current amnesia, but Keira soon realizes that she can both see and hear the ghosts in the graveyard, and there is something they want. 

I read my first Darcy Coates novel, Craven Manor, last year after prompting from a sibling and friends that know I love ghost stories and was not disappointed. I've been eager to read more of her many books since then so I snatched this up when it hit my library's shelves. 

This is the first in a duology and I didn't know that at first so I was a little disappointed to not get all the answers even though I really enjoyed the mystery of Keira and 'the whispering dead' as well as the fun banter and interactions between Keira and the new friends she makes. So far I can tell that Coates has a knack for atmospheric settings and style, which honestly makes me want to read all of her books but I can't wait to finish Keira's story!

XXX



Have you read any Darcy Coates?
Do you have a favorite?



Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment