Thursday, June 13, 2013

Booking Through Thursday #5

 
 
Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Booking Through Thursday.

This week's topic is:

DREAM CAST

 Do you ever sit and wonder who could be cast as your favorite characters in book to movie adaptations?
What actors do you think have done particularly excellent jobs with some of your favorite characters?
 
I'll admit that I don't do this very often. While I love movies, I find it hard to love a movie that I've read the book to unless that book was poorly executed and the movie pulled off the visual aspects better than my imagination could (not that I'm lacking in the imagination department or anything...).

When I was a kid I used to cast actors for characters in my favorite books such as Harry Potter or The Golden Compass but my knowledge of actors and actresses wasn't that diverse so my favorites always ended up with the best roles. I didn't know who Emma Watson was back then but I am certainly glad that she was cast as Hermione instead of whoever I thought would work.

Nowadays I don't bother trying to cast roles for movies because I love seeing new talent and I definitely don't know if one actor/actress would be better for a role than another. I tend to only look for physical appearances or similarities and since actors/actresses can just dye their hair and pop in some contacts, it's rather shallow to think that way. I try to be very open-minded about it all.

Also, in most cases, it doesn't even cross my mind until I read or hear that the book is going to be adapted into a film. Then I start speculating. But it's normal for us readers to want our favorite male characters to be played by some sexy shirtless guy or a favorite actor. As an example, when I heard that City of Bones was being made into a movie, I had no idea who should play Jace but I was pretty disappointed when it ended up being Jamie Campbell Bower because while he is a good actor and has very unique bone structure, I couldn't see him as the handsome, muscled shadowhunter from the books. I will always see him as a pale, gangly, long haired boy that sang 'Joanna' in Sweeney Todd. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. :)

Perhaps I'll come up with a dream cast in the future.


2 comments:

  1. Great post! I definitely agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't all that great at dream casting. The more I see previews for City of Bones, the more I LIKE Jamie as Jace even though I'm not attracted to the actor at all. Hot guy doesn't always translate into the perfect actor for a role, so I try not to be judgmental. After all, most people wanted Alex Pettyfer, but his acting leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, even though he's adorable.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how hard it is for actors to break out of the type once they have become associated with a role. I find it hard to see Emma Watson as anything but Hermione. Here was my post http://backchattingbooks.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/booking-through-thursday-dream-cast/

    ReplyDelete