Thursday, June 27, 2013

Booking Through Thursday #7

 
 
Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Booking Through Thursday.
 

It’s time for summer reading, so … today’s question? What’s the worst thing you ever did to your reading material? Sand in the bindings from the beach? Dropped into the pool? Covers smeared with sunscreen?
And, if you’ve never done actual summer-time damage … have you EVER damaged your book/magazine/paper? Dropped it in the bathtub? Used it to kill a bug? Spilled with coffee?

I've always been against damaging books so I'm pretty sure the worst thing I've ever done to a book is dog-ear a few pages when I was very young before my librarian asked me not to.

I've probably dropped crumbs in between the pages a few times.

Although, as a crafter, I've been wanting to find an old crappy hardcover book to convert into a piece of art. I'm just having a hard time with it. Inner battle.



8 comments:

  1. I know that inner battle regarding books!

    Here is my BTT post

    ReplyDelete
  2. > as a crafter, I've been wanting to find an old crappy hardcover book to convert into a piece of art.

    Does it have to be crappy-looking? I have no compunction whatsoever in mangling Reader's Digest hardcovers, some of which look beautiful, with fake leather bindings and gilded edges of pages. Same goes for volumes from old encyclopedias - they often look lovely but the information in them is outdated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose not but I wouldn't feel as bad about mangling a book that was practically unreadable than I would if I destroyed a newer book. It's the booklover in me. I get most of my books secondhand and they are still perfectly readable even if the cover has a scratch or some bent/warped pages, so in my mind, it has to be nearly or absolutely unreadable for me to work up the gall to destroy it more. :)

      Delete
  3. It might be worth checking out a second-hand bookshop if there is one near you. That way you could pick from a larger selection and not have that personal connection. Here's my post http://backchattingbooks.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/booking-through-thursday-summer-reading/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unlucky enough to not have any bookstores within an hours drive of where I live so all of my books come from secondhand stores. I do sometimes come across horribly worn copies of books but I'm just never thinking about destroying books while I look at them so I end up never picking one up for crafting purposes. It's like I only think about it at the most inconvenient times. :)

      Delete
  4. I used to dogear books, too; I very rarely do that now, since I have tons of bookmarks. But once in a great while, I'll do a tiny one so I can find an excerpt I want to share....bad girl! lol

    Here's MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to tear out pages of old magazines for art, but I've never really tried books.


    Andrea K. @ Books and Bindings
    Booking Through Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't dogear pages, but my kids do/did and it drives me crazy. I am guilty of damaging books also, but this little idiosyncrasy drives me up the wall :)

    ReplyDelete