Thursday, October 17, 2019

Teeth in the Mist by Dawn Kurtagich (YA Horror Book Review)


Teeth in the Mist

by Dawn Kurtagich
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
on June 11, 2019
Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Historical Fiction, Paranormal
Length: 447 pages
Ages: 14 - 18 years

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepository


Synopsis:

Before the birth of time, a monk uncovers the Devil's Tongue and dares to speak it. The repercussions will be felt for generations...
Sixteen-year-old photography enthusiast Zoey has been fascinated by the haunted, burnt-out ruins of Medwyn Mill House for as long as she can remember--so she and her best friend, Poulton, run away from home to explore them. But are they really alone in the house? And who will know if something goes wrong?

In 1851, seventeen-year-old Roan arrives at the Mill House as a ward--one of three, all with something to hide from their new guardian. When Roan learns that she is connected to an ancient secret, she must escape the house before she is trapped forever.

1583. Hermione, a new young bride, accompanies her husband to the wilds of North Wales where he plans to build the largest water mill and mansion in the area. But rumors of unholy rituals lead to a tragic occurrence and she will need all her strength to defeat it.

Three women, centuries apart, drawn together by one Unholy Pact. A pact made by a man who, more than a thousand years later, may still be watching...

My Thoughts:
I read And the Trees Crept In (also known as The Creeper Man) by Dawn Kurtagich last year and fell in love with it. It's a brilliant, psychological story that is like descending into madness and it actually creeped me out a little (and that never happens.) Teeth in the Mist was similarly engaging, making me feel like I was experiencing the madness right along with the characters.
Kurtagich has the amazing ability to immerse the reader into the unsettling minds of her characters which makes her books a must-read in my opinion.

I really wanted to read another one of her books this year and had The Dead House in mind but then saw that the Ladies of Horror Fiction were reading Teeth in the Mist so I borrowed a physical copy from the library. I will definitely be buying a copy for my shelves asap because I loved the spooky pages and neat formatting as well as the story! I've also heard the audiobook has lots of spooky additions to it as well!

This book has a little of everything you'd want in a spooky story. A big, creepy, isolated mansion. Ghosts. Demons. Witchcraft. A little romance and a lot of 'what the heck is going on.'

I really enjoyed the double narrative in different timelines. Roan Eddington arrives at Mill House in 1851 and Zoey arrives in the present. Zoey is looking back at the past and unraveling a little of Roan's story as she explores the house, using video and journal entries to record her findings. There's also a third perspective, shared in letter format from an earlier inhabitant of the house. We eventually see how the stories combine, creating a multi-generational story.

 This book was a little hard to get into at first with all the extra characters in different time periods but once I really got an idea of what was going on, I ended up hooked and flew through the second half of the book. I'm on the fence about whether I liked it more than And the Trees Crept In or not but it does have a more complicated plotline and I loved the historical fiction aspects of it!

The author just announced this month that this book is getting a sequel!

Follow

2 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! I STILL need to read this one and yay for a sequel already! I must have missed that from her, but I have been struggling to stay on top of social media these days. Glad to see you enjoyed this one! I can't wait to read it, I loved Dawn's previous books! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! She's quickly becoming a favorite author of mine! And I understand the social media drain. It's good to take breaks from it all! Happy reading! <3

      Delete