Friday, October 11, 2019

The Mist by Stephen King (Adult Horror Book Review)

The Mist
by Stephen King
Published by Scribner
on June 5, 2018
(first published in 1980)
Genre: Adult, Horror
Length: 176 pages

In the wake of a summer storm, terror descends... David Drayton, his son Billy, and their neighbor Brent Norton join dozens of others and head to the local grocery store to replenish supplies following a freak storm. Once there, they become trapped by a strange mist that enveloped the town. As the confinement takes its toll on their nerves, a religious zealot, Mrs. Carmody, begins to play on their fears to convince them that this is God's vengeance for their sins. She insists a sacrifice must be made and two groups--those for and those against--are aligned. Clearly, staying in the store may prove fatal, and the Draytons, along with store employee Ollie Weeks, Amanda Dumfries, Irene Reppler, and Dan Miller, attempt to make their escape. But what's out there may be worse than what they left behind.

This exhilarating novella explores the horror in both the enemy you know--and the one you can only imagine. 


My Thoughts:
This review may contain spoilers.

I explained in my review of On Writing that I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with King and his books. I don't consider him a favorite author but possibly only because I haven't read enough of his books to determine that yet. I love some of his books and I hate others but I acknowledge his acclaim and skill. Unfortunately, The Mist has made the 'King books I didn't love' list.

As with most King novels, I saw the movie first. Oops. I think The Mist is even a newer adaptation but apparently, I missed the memo. When I mentioned that I was reading this, everyone mentioned the film, which I had seen on Netflix, so when I started reading the book I was totally lost thanks to the changes.

I was only running on a vague memory of the film but the book is definitely different. The book is about a man and his young son while the movie is about a woman and her teenage daughter. No big deal but the teenage daughter added a ton more plot to the film. The book has one simple location (a grocery store) while the movie is spread out between a mall and a church. I only really caught on to a similarity more than halfway through when they find the military kids in the bathroom.

I didn't dislike this book because of its similarities or lack thereof in its adaptation though. It started out well enough but I felt the horror element was too nonsensical. I could give that a pass. Horror doesn't always need to make sense. But then I got to the MC's late-night affair with a random woman and the entire story started to seem like someone's twisted sexual fantasy with some weird horror elements thrown in to sell it.

But, as always, I enjoyed how King can take a situation and bring out the worst in people. He shows us how easy it is to become monsters and that's something I do love about his novels.



Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment