Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #76 - Bookish Delights



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Bookish Delights

Bookmarks
Bookmarks aren't a must but I love them all the same. I don't like dog earring books. If I have absolutely nothing to use as a bookmark (or a toddler who pulls them out of my books and destroys them) I will memorize the chapter or page number I am on.
 (I have a Hobbit themed bookmark giveaway up right now for my blogiversary and have been designing/making more so look forward to some more bookmark giveaways in the future!)

Book Smells That Remind Me Of My Childhood
Certain book smells take me back to my early years and I love knowing that those smells can bring back a wave of memories. My elementary school library had a specific smell that I encountered again recently in a very old book. Some books remind me of the text books from early elementary grades, others from high school. Some book smells don't have specific early memories for me but who knows, maybe 10-20 years from now I will associate them with memories from this decade. 

Having Sisters Who Love to Read
My sisters didn't always read. In fact, one of them hated reading when she was a kid and told me so very often when I'd recommend a book I loved to her. One told me years ago that she started reading because she saw how much I loved it. Now my 3 sisters all love to read and I love that I can share my thoughts on books with them or pick up a book from a book sale that I think they might like or keep an eye out for books they are missing from their favorite series and vice versa.   

Bookstagram
I'm very new to bookstagram but I'm already hooked on the lovely photography (although there are a lot of similarities between the majority of stuff I see.) I've always loved photography so pictures of books make me very happy!

BookTube
I've been watching Booktube for about 4+ years now and still enjoy it so much. Seeing people's faces light up over their latest favorite read is always fun. 

Book To Movie Adaptations
These aren't always well done and they also don't always stick to the book but I love adaptations, whether they are a movie I watched as a kid and then read the book, or a book that I read and then watched the movie. They've urged me to read books that I probably wouldn't have read otherwise.

My Local Library
How can I not include the library?! It's what started my love of books, after all. I absolutely love that I can borrow books to read. As a chlid who didn't have an allowance or anything to buy books, the library was my little savior. It was a huge part of my life as a child and still  is.

Storytime
This one is more for my daughter but I enjoy taking her to Storytime at my local library. I love seeing her interact with the storyteller while she reads and sings songs. I love seeing her interact with the other children. Most of all, I love that the library and storytime is helping me instill a love for reading in my daughter.

My Personal Library
I don't have a fabulous instagram worthy personal library with brand new books and Funko characters but I do have a pretty big selection of secondhand books all shoved on 4-7 shelves that I love to peruse. They are completely unorganized other than having some separated by genre or age group so I often have to go searching if I don't know exactly what I'm looking for and I love that. It's always an adventure when it comes to my library. And it will probably stay that way. I've thought about organizing by title or author name but I have over 2000 books and that would take forever. I'm not an organized person and my library fits my personality.

3 comments:

  1. Your personal library sounds fabulous!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/04/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-bookworm.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything on your list! :D Great minds think alike!

    New GFC follower :)

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a personal library is an awesome thing even if one doesn't have all the Funkos and bookish stuff. There's just something about having favorite books on a shelf and getting to look at them lol. And book smells- it sounds funny but yeah there's something about it. I love a new book smell but I also love the smell of a used bookstore, with all those old books...

    ReplyDelete