Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Sunday Post #38 - Banned Books Week Begins


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
It's a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things you received, share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead, and more.

Is it Sunday again already?!
I feel like absolutely nothing has happened this week. I have been reading more thanks to 'Illuminae' and the Tackle Your TBR read-a-thon though. My blogging week sucked but at least I'm reading! The weather is still hot hot hot plus muggy so we are still stuck inside a lot. The good news is that my veggie garden is finally starting to produce! The hot months tend to kill everything but I guess all that rain finally did some good. 


Banned Books Week starts today!

This Past Week On The Blog
Picture Book Review: Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins
Book Review: The Scourge by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Coming Soon
Book Blast & Giveaway: Pickled Pumpkin Pie
Top Ten Tuesday
Picture Book Review: Finding Wild
Book Review: The Voyage to Magical North
September Wrap Up
October Spooky Reads TBR

Books I Finished This Week

What I'm Currently Reading

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - My pick for Banned Books Week (which starts today) and I'm already half way through because it's a pretty easy but funny read. I'm glad that I'm finally getting around to this but I'm hoping that I can go for something bigger next year. 
Illuminae - I'm almost done with this one, too, but took a break to fit in my banned book. Honestly I'm not overly enthralled by the story itself but I'm really loving the format. Makes it a quick read despite it being 600 pages. I'm averaging at least 100 pages a day and that's a lot considering little I've been reading lately. 
Timekeeper by Tara Sim - I'm not really loving this. It's not good when I'd rather browse instagram or play a stupid app game over reading this in bed at night. But... I've got other ebooks to get to asap so I've gotta push through. 

How has your week been going? Will you be reading any banned or challenged books this week?

8 comments:

  1. "...Part-Time Indian" is one of my all time favorites. Alexie blends humor and tragedy so incredibly well. Illuminae didn't do much for me. Cool format; predictable storyline.

    I didn't actually think about reading banned books this week, even though I'll be talking it up with my students and have a post specifically about it coming later this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promoting the reading of banned books is just as good! :)

      Delete
  2. You know I liked Illuminae but I didn't LOVE it like some did. I'm still excited about Gemina because of the space station angle, that sounds fun, but I agree the format made that book go by a lot faster and I'm kinda glad of that. A Dark Crystal book looks good, I never saw The Dark Crystal but I know of it. And looking forward to your review of Magical North, as that one looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up watching the movie and loved it! It's got a sort of creepy vibe but Henson and Froud were brilliant together. I think I'm turning out to be the same with Illuminae. The format is more interesting than the story itself.

      Delete
  3. I won't be reading any banned books this week. Good for you for doing something! Hurray for reading more and gardening. The blogging will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice to focus on other things for once! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh if I'm putting off reading a book it's usually a bad sign and I have to ditch (DNF) it.

    Hopefully you'll be able to get more blogging done this week. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel terrible about DNFing books and usually try to get through it in hopes that the ending is better but I may just need to do that for once. I have so much to do, I can't keep procrastinating over this mediocre book. :(
      I hope you have a fantastic week as well! :)

      Delete